Saturday, September 5, 2015

Paro - Tiger's nest - MUST!

The Taktsang Palphug Monastery or Tiger's nest is one of the most revered places to visit in Bhutan. Check for more information.

The Trek
7000 feet one way, we took total of 6 hours. When I started the trek, I told myself 'I will go as far I am able to and then turn back'. I had decided not to push myself too much. But when I started, the beauty was hard to avoid and thanks to my walk-mates...I went on...1 step at a time.


Copyright: http://www.travelingsolemates.com/bhutan-the-hike-to-the-tigers-nest-monastery/
The cafe
Halfway approximately to the monastery, is a life saver - a cafe. On wood burning stoves I had excellent tea and crackers, Rs 100 per cup and crackers free. Our tour guide said "have tea and do pee". Amazingly as I noticed all over in Bhutan. the lady's toilets can put us Indians to shame. Available and clean! As per the guide, "This is Buddhism in action. How can you have a clean house and not clean the public toilet?".
Copyright http://www.travelingsolemates.com/bhutan-the-hike-to-the-tigers-nest-monastery/

The monastery
These are some of the sights of the monastery:
Copyright http://www.travelingsolemates.com/bhutan-the-hike-to-the-tigers-nest-monastery/

Copyright Monica
And I wondered...who would set up a monastery in such a way! 

My point of nirvana was close to the monastery, at the natural water fall. This is where I stood as water sprinkled on my face, totally absorbed in the beauty around me. "This is happiness" I felt...this is it!



The feelings
"Unbelievable and awe inspiring" is how I would describe it. The intense energy in the place, the quiet organization, the happiness of the monks walking around and the super beauty of the place! This is a must visit and many visits place.



Note:

  1. Wear excellent hiking shoes. 
  2. It is advisable to carry a walk stick. It helped us through!
  3. Do stop at the cafeteria. The flora and fauna are beautiful. 

No comments: